Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Film Unfinished

I love documentaries, and I watched A Film Unfinished tonight... it is very powerful…

I don’t know whether it is because I am gay and struggled with my own acceptance for so long, or because I grew up in a city where cultural and religious diversity is the norm and encouraged, or whether it was because my parents never instilled ethnic intolerance or hate in my youth… but all I know… and all I can think of… after watching something like this… is how fortunate I am, how my own traumatic life experiences pale by comparison, and the incomprehensible power and devastating end result of hate and intolerance. 

I don’t mean this as a political statement of any kind… just a sombre reflection upon what continues to happen all around the world today, as a result of intolerance, of retribution for past wrongs, of religious and moral fanaticism… and a result of many other hatreds borne out of ignorance and perpetuated through generations that have lost and suffered more than most of us could ever imagine.

I don’t pretend to have any answers, or hold any moral or judgmental authority over anyone else, or have any profound reflections about life or humanity… all I know… is that for me – how fortunate I feel in the grander scheme. 

I just cannot comprehend on an emotional or intellectual level how something like this happened… or continues to happen…

… life is beyond comprehension…

3 comments:

  1. THe idea that one person is somehow superior to another makes me shudder and yet much of every society seems predicated on this notion.

    I think that this film is just one example of the 'haves' and 'have nots' argument which is still used and practiced in politics and religion right across the world.

    Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't watch it. Too horrifying. I've met people here in Miami who had the concentration-camp tattoos on their wrists. The only one that I knew personally was a wonderful, elegant old lady who died two years ago - not long after she participated in Stephen Spielberg's oral history project re: The Holocaust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oui, il y a devoir de mémoire.
    Pour toujours.

    ReplyDelete

Admin Control Panel

New Post | Edit Posts | Todays Stats | Change Layout | Edit HTML | Settings | Sign Out